So the brainiacs at Rolling Stone have enlightened us with the 50 COOLEST SUMMER JAMS OF ALL TIME. That is a pretty monumental title for (in my opinion) a completely lack luster list. There are some songs I do agree whole heartedly with, some I agree with but feel should be placed differently but the majority of it leaves me going HUH????
My high school and college summers were spent in the best decade ever- the 80s, so I will admit to a little bias but come on the Go-Gos “Vacation” only came in at #20? The top 10 songs on the list all come from the early 70s or before and while I like “When Doves Cry”- which comes from the biggest summer movie of 1984, is that really a song you jam to? Katy Perry’s California Gurls made the list…barely- it should have placed higher and there is waaaayyyy too much rap on the list for my taste entirely (though Chris Murphy and I disagree vehemently, but good naturedly, on that particular point.) Finally Nicki Minaj should never be on any list of great music…EVER!
Some glaring omissions from this list:
- Y&T- “Summer Time Girls”
- Mungo Jerry-“In the Summer Time”
- Fat Boys with the Beach Boys- “Wipe Out” (or even the original by the Surfaris)
- John Travolta and Olivia Newton John- “Summer Nights”
- David Lee Roth- “California Girls” (The Beach Boys version did make Rolling Stones list but this version should have been there too)
- DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince- “Summertime”
- Bananarmama- “Cruel Summer”
- Don Henly- “Boys of Summer” (again not a tune you likely jam to but…wow what a song)
- Night Ranger- “Sister Christian” (OK- you got me. The ONLY reason this song is on the list is I have some incredible summertime memories associated with this song)
I will give Rolling Stone it’s props though for the song they picked for #1- Eddie Cochran’s Summertime Blues. A song that generally doesn’t set a lot of air play on radio stations any more but it is still THE summertime anthem for those of us who were working our tales off during the summer in between school sessions when all we wanted to do was go out and hang with our friends.
Overall nice try Rolling Stone but I think you could have done better